Allison's Land

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Don't know how good I got it

I often complain, sometimes to myself, and sometimes out loud, that my shared office space at work is too noisy. Too crowded. Too many people work in it. I can't concentrate. Too much talking. Too much goofing off.

I have often wished I had my own space, so that I would not be annoyed by other people. In fact, this has lead me to the conclusion that I am anti-social.

Today, by some strange fluke, no one else was in the office all morning. But I was. Alone. It was so quiet! At first, I really liked it. I was getting work done. I could concentrate. But, as the morning progressed, the silence and aloneness became oppresive. I wandered into the adjoining lab for no good reason, other than to talk to someone. Look at someone, even!

So, I have modified my wishes. I do not want my own office space; I would like to share a space with someone who would be quiet when I want to concentrate, would talk when I want a break. As impossible as it may sound to find someone like that, he once existed, and has since found another job. So, I hope that I may come across such a person again.

Oh, and I do not nessisarily believe that I am anti-social anymore, simply that I like quality over quanity.

This afternoon, it is a little noisier. Instead of being grumpy, I am trying to appreciate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home