Allison's Land

Monday, January 16, 2006

The Big Exam

I have officially started my candidacy exam today. Basically, this is a test to prove my worthiness as a Ph.D. student. In different departments, at different universities, this exam takes a variety of forms, but the purpose remains the same: to determine if each student has what it takes to continue their doctoral studies. But, no pressure, of course.

At my department, it takes the form of a writing a grant. A grant is how scientists beg for money. You tell people how wonderful you are. How wonderful your ideas are. Then, in detail, describes your experimental plan for the next three to five years. And, in detail, how much money everything will cost, so the granting agency knows how much to give you.

Here's the kicker for the exam: The experimental plan should be enough work for two or three Ph.D. students. I haven't even finished my (one) project, I'm supposed to come up with ideas for two or three?! Oh yeah, and the other caveat: the topic cannot be related to what the individual is currently studing. So, big learning curve. I have a month to become an expert in a field that is not related to me.

I picked Neisseria gonorrhoeae, the causitive agent of the STI gonorrhea. Why? I like STIs. To study, I should add, not to personally have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home