Allison's Land

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Tina is getting reconstructive surgery

About a week and a half ago, the bf and I were heading home from dance class (we are learning the Social Waltz and the Night Club Two-Step - it's pretty fun), when a car turned left, into me. I did not see the other van untill he started his turn, so my options were limited. I moved into the parking lane, as no cars were parked in that section, but, being a largish van, he turned wide and swung into my rear side. The other driver did not know I was there until he hit me. My rear fish tailed a little, but I did not lose control of the car, and thus managed to avoid being hit up the curb and into a tree.

We exchanged our info, and the next day, I called AutoPac and made my claim.

Yesterday, I had my appointment for the damage to be appraised. I was anticipating a couple hundred dollars worth of damage, as the majority of the impact was on the left passenger door - there is a small dent/bumper smear on the panal behind it and on my bumber. The door definatly needs to be replaced - I never opened it, for fear it would not close again, and am actually quite lucky the glass didn't shatter. The door is bent inwards quite a few inches.

But, the actual estimate was over $1,600. Incredible! About $300 for parts, $300 for paint, and $1000 for labour. Thankfully, the other driver made his statement so I do not have to pay my deductible. I made an appointment with an autobody shop, and sometime next week, Tina will be getting fixed up.

It makes me glad the damage was not worse - I could not get a car as good as Tina with the money I would get from a right-off. If they had told me it was not worth it to fix my '94 Tercel, I think I would have told them to forget the whole thing, and just buy a new door myself - or just leave it.

But as it is getting paid for, I will appreciate being able to soon open that door!

4 Comments:

At 5:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very happy for Tina- she looked quite under the weather when I saw her the other day- it is no fun to have an owey!!

Mary

 
At 9:57 a.m., Blogger claire said...

I never realized your car had a name until today. Why Tina?

 
At 11:53 a.m., Blogger Allison said...

Tina, the teensy tiny Toyota Tercel. I'm a fan of alliteration.

 
At 9:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

didn't it star in a mento's commercial?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home