Allison's Land

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Big = small

Sometimes when I have a really big, unsolvable problem, I will transfer my stress onto a smaller, trivial nusiance.

For example, I recently learned something about my research data that made me want to cry, and also made me realize that my project had very suddenly (and without my permission!) taken a very different route than the one I had projected. Alas, that is science, but I thought I had identified the experiments I needed to do and the information I needed to gather in order to graduate. Suddenly, I have no idea.

This is my big, unsolvable problem.

Also recently (yesterday) I registered for a conference, but I accidently gave the wrong email address - I gave the user name of one with the domain of another - this does not actually work. So, the conference could not email me to get in touch. I became disproportionatly upset about this.

This is my small, trivial nusience.

Today, the conference faxed me (I got the fax number right, at least) to tell them I gave the wrong email, and could I please email them the correct address. I did, and problem solved.

Now, although my big, unsolvable problem is not the least bit closer to being resolved, I feel infinately better.

Psychological projection is fun and easy, and it works!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home