Allison's Land

Friday, June 16, 2006

I bet that looked odd

So, I had a craving for Reese's pieces the other day (Mel, if you are reading this, I know you can comiserate). Of course, I walk down to the snack machine in our building to buy a pack. On my way back up the stairs, I started to read the ingredients...

Sugar, partially defatted peanut meal, blend of vegetable oils (contains hydrogenated palm kernal and soybean oils), dextrose, nonfat milk...

"How strange," I think to myself, "they take the trouble to defat peanuts, and use nonfat milk, but add oil. I would rather have full-fat peanuts, full-fat milk, and no added oils!"

I am walking with my head down, staring at this pack of candy with, I am sure, an intense look of puzzlement. This is when I look up, to see one of the lead researchers in our building walking towards me.

"Hi," he says as he smiles and nods.

I manage to mumble hi back, but boy do I feel embarressed. I mean, that must of looked rather odd.

2 Comments:

At 10:32 a.m., Blogger claire said...

Probably not so odd. I think most people tend to read that back of things nowadays. It could have been weird if you were staring at it for 20 minutes and he saw you doing it for that long. Then he may have thought you were a tad bit odd, but then most scientists are odd, right?!?! (Or perhaps a tad mad, anyway. :)

 
At 8:42 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute.
i know what you mean though.
it's like a processed foods game: who can change natural ingredients the most?
i really try to go natural for the snacks but there is a special taste to all that yummy highly processed "beyond food" products...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home