Allison's Land

Friday, June 30, 2006

Lick me, I'm a salty treat!

We have this lunch time baseball league happening at the university (3 innings, everyone bats, takes about an hour/hour and a half). I am not the world's greatest athlete, by any stretch. I'm better at the solo sports (running, biking, swimming, etc), and I tend to avoid team sports - in part I think because I am concious of my (lack of) ability.

So, I have avoided this lunch time league. I felt that everyone would be way more awesome than me, and that I would just mess people up. And, some people seemed to take the game really seriously.

However, last week they were short of players, and the person who most seems to take the game seriously was away, so I said I would play. We got there early, and warmed up with a game of catch. That was all right - I threw, I catched. I made some wild throws, I missed some catches, but hey - it was warm up - who didn't, and who cares?

Then, the other team was up to bat and I played right field. I basically stood there, and watched the ball. Nothing ever ends up in right fied. Finally, I went up to bat. This was the moment I was dreading...I was afraid I was going to swing like a goof, and miss every time. Well, I didn't. I made a fairly solid base hit. I got out at first, but the girl on first made it to third.

Since then, I have played two more games. Sometimes I back catch - which I love, and sometimes, stuck in right field. And, I have become a decently predictable hitter. I hit between the first base man and the pitcher. It often gets me out, but it helps out my team mates. And, today I scored, for the very first time! So awesome.

I am happy, and salty - it's a balmy 28°C, with a humidex of 35 °C. My sweat of lunch time has evaporated, leaving me flavoured like a potato chip.

3 Comments:

At 12:17 a.m., Blogger claire said...

I think you are more of a nut that a chip, which can be just as salty.

 
At 9:21 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

very inspiring.
i think i have about equal ability for sports -maybe i flatter myself- but the fact that you are playing just to play rocks.
way to go... ketchup? dill pickle? hopefully not sour cream and onion!

 
At 10:30 p.m., Blogger Tomato said...

Mmm... salty treat!

Squinky! i'm glad you didn't get to much sun while you were out in playing baseball, because then you'd be a salty and crunchy treat. Kinda like the crispy skin on roasted peanuts :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home